Planetarium – Teacher’s Corner
What does it cost to bring a school group?
1 show = $3.00 per person
2 shows = $6.00 per person
Teachers, bus drivers, school officials, and required chaperones receive free admissions to the presentation.
A minimum group size of 25 paying patrons is required to reserve a private group program. Groups smaller than 25 will be combined with other groups when possible.
How long is a visit to the Planetarium?
If you select 1 show, plan on a 45 minute to 1 hour visit.
If you select 2 shows, plan on a 1.5 to 2 hour visit.
Don’t forget to include time to visit our awesome gift shop!
What shows do you have for school groups?
Programs available for booking at Planetarium Shows page.
Grade level program recommendations and TEKS alignment information are also offered.
TEXAS ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS (TEKS) ALIGNMENT
|SCHOOL SHOWS||SUGGESTED GRADES||K||GRADE 1||GRADE 2||GRADE 3||GRADE 4||GRADE 5||GRADE 6||GRADE 7||GRADE 8|
|LARRY CAT IN SPACE||K-1||8C||8B|
|COWBOY ASTRONOMER||2-5||8C||3B, 4, 8C||8C||3B, 8D|
|LUNAR ODYSSEY||2-5||8C||3B, 4, 8C||8C||3B, 8D|
|MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE||3-6||3B, 4, 8C||8C||3B, 8D||11A, 11B, 11C|
|VOYAGER ENCOUNTERS||6-8||11A, 11B, 11C||9A, 9B||8A, 8B, 8C, 8D|
|HUBBLE VISION||6-8||11A, 11B, 11C||9A, 9B||8A, 8B, 8C, 8D|
All programs are followed by either a tour of the current night sky or immersive simulator show if time permits.
Who do I need to contact to arrange a visit?
If you plan to visit the planetarium (or have a question), please contact the Planetarium Director using the following email link: Dr. Bruce Brazell.
Requests for field trips to the Planetarium are only accepted via email.
In your email, be sure to provide the following information:
- Possible date(s) you would like to bring your group
- School Address
- School Name
- Grade / Age of Group
- Contact Person Name, Email, and Phone #
- # Students
- Show Selection(s)
- Requested visit time (10 AM is earliest time for field trips)
Please note that if you want to visit the Pearce Museum on the same day as the planetarium, you must arrange your field trip to both facilities via the the museum’s tour coordinator at (903) 875-7437 or via email.
Planetarium Field Trip Rules
- Plan on arriving at least 15 minutes before your scheduled time.
- Only 10 students will be allowed in the gift shop at one time.
- No mobile device use in the planetarium.
- No food, drinks, candy or gum in the planetarium.
- Children under the age of 5 (and/or in strollers) are not allowed in the planetarium or museum during a field trip due to safety concerns.
- Chaperones should dress appropriately and be actively involved in helping supervise students during the field trip.
The additional rules stated below apply to those groups who will visit the Pearce Museum on the same day as the planetarium visit. They do not apply to groups visiting the planetarium only.
- The museum requires one adult chaperone (teachers/parents) per ten students on the field trip.
- Additional adults in excess of the required number of chaperones are not allowed on the museum field trip.
Additional Planetarium Field Trip Rules
- We require one adult chaperone (teachers/parents) per ten students on the field trip.
- Only 10 students will be allowed in the gift shop at one time. Chaperones will need to monitor this.
- No cell phone (or other mobile device) use in the planetarium.
The planetarium field trip is intended to be a school field trip and NOT a family outing. As such, the following policies are now applicable:
- Additional adults in excess of the required number of chaperones are not recommended (unless required by your school or necessary for transportation).
- Children under the age of 5 are not allowed in the planetarium.
- Children in strollers are not allowed for safety reasons.
The purpose of these rules is to preserve the integrity of the school field trip to the planetarium as a learning experience.